Two posts in two days? Insanity. It's almost like I'm back to this whole blogging thing...
Briefly, thoughts on Oscar nominations:
- Christopher Nolan got the shaft for Best Director
- Glad to see that The Social Network didn't get the most nods (8) to The King's Speech (12)
- I always love the supporting categories for surprises: Jacki Weaver for Animal Kingdom and John Hawkes for his absolutely stellar turn in Winter's Bone.
- Really glad to see that film get four nods - I think it's the most wholly American picture of the year.
- Uh, did I miss the part where people actually liked 127 Hours? Six nominations, and all I've heard is middling reviews from friends. James Franco has become a total tool in the press, and I avoided the film not for the arm cutting off, but for the claustrophobia. Can't do it.
- Even stoned, Alice in Wonderland is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and that was only the first 45 minutes before I turned it off. I guess it deserves the three nods if you like abnormal candy colored vomit.
- Bitiful hasn't done too well critically, so Bardem's nod and Foreign Language film seem odd.
- Gotta see Foreign nominee Dogtooth because apparently it's bat shit crazy.
- Not surprised, but disappointed by only Michelle Williams' nod for Blue Valentine. I think it should have gotten the Best Picture nod over True Grit or 127 Hours, but it's a much more difficult film.
- Portman, Firth, Bale, and Leo - it's your race to lose.
- AND...best of all, we have THREE female nominees for screenplay: Lisa Cholodenko for The Kids Are All Right, and Debra Granik & Anne Rossellini for Winter's Bone.
In other film related news, Blue Velvet might be coming to Blu ray in America with Lynch's deleted scenes. Will we get to see the four hour cut?! Someone just needs to find all of the deleted stuff from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me now.
0 comments:
Post a Comment