I didn't go see Watchmen in theaters this weekend. I am a bad fangirl. It was up on Watch Movies by Friday afternoon and I am all kinds of broke right now, so I decided to just watch it there last night.
It was good - not bad, not great. I was pleased overall with the adaptation. It was faithful to the material, looked cool, and was acted pretty well, although I was disappointed in the performances by mother and daughter Jupiter most. The first ten minutes were probably my favorite part, or Dr. Manhattan's journey to Mars. Much has been said about the choice of music, and I loved/hated it - at some points it fit amazingly well, then at other times, it seemed to be hitting you over the head. I also liked how everything looked so 80s - even the lighting and film stock looked old.
I wasn't crazy about the changes made to the ending, but I can see why they were made for a mass audience. Thank god the cut wasn't Snyder's original three hours and twenty minutes because I was definitely ready for it to be over at the two and a half mark. Don't worry, he left in plenty of fanboy touches - Gunga Diner, the newsstand players, a certain code name for Veidt's project - in and they all made me smile.
Another reason I didn't go see Watchmen in theaters was that Cassie was here this weekend. Things got off to a rocky start - I ended up at an urgent care Friday for chest pain. After an EKG, chest x-ray, and blood work, it seems I have an inflamed chest, maybe pleurisy, from the mono. Fucking rad! I've really enjoyed being sick for the past three months. But I was fine, and Cassie and I were able to shop our hearts out Saturday.
We also tried to get tattoos, and after a ten block walk in the rain, found that Taylor Street Tattoo is quite terrible. They couldn't do either Cassie's cheshire cat or my wheat penny, because they were sub-par artists. I'm just going to hit up Dana when I'm back in town.
Cassie and I also went to Chicago Comics in Belmont yesterday. I'm not a huge comics fan by any stretch, but I really enjoy meandering through the racks of work. My dad would always let me tag along as a child when he was still reading regularly, and there will always be something comforting in that pulp smell and the brightly colored, muscled heroes that provide it. Chicago Comics is an awesome shop and features lots of independent work in addition to all of the traditional stuff.
Another busy week is in store - midterms, yay! I only have one real midterm in Production I and need to start editing my first film as well. My first screenplay is due this week as well. As Penny Lane would say, "It's all happening."

1 comments:
Hi KateHagen
I'm commenting so you can get to my blog, which I'm going to try to maintain now.
xoxo
Post a Comment