BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, December 15, 2008

...In which our heroine reviews "Milk," talks more film stuff.

I saw Milk Thursday night, as it was student night at the AMC in Chicago. With such a strong cast, Gus Van Sant at the helm, and an exploration of issues I'm interested in, I had to go.

The film is very good, very well made, especially in terms of sound and editing. Sean Penn is fantastic as Milk, the first gay man ever elected to public office, and well supported by James Franco, Diego Luna, Emile Hirsch, and Alison Pill. Milk is an interesting character, and one I'd like to know more about. Still though, as well done as the film is, it just didn't strike the emotional chord that others this year have. The plot was structured in a very typical rise, success, and fall of one man way, something I won't blame on the screenwriter, whose first script is Milk. I just thought it was almost too typical in terms of plot. However, it still rates as a must-see for awards time, if for nothing else than the performances within.


Speaking of awards season, and since I'm a total and utter geek, here are what I've got so far as to the best films I've seen so far this year: The Dark Knight, The Wrestler, Milk, Slumdog Millionaire, Iron Man, Wall-E, Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder, and Burn After Reading.

***
My first semester of film school is over, so I'm going to try and take an inventory of all the new films I've seen so far, since living in Chicago. It's nice to not really watch TV anymore, and just watch films instead. I'll vaguely put them in order of how much I liked them:

Citizen Kane
The Graduate
Ratcatcher
It Happened One Night
In the Mood for Love
28 Weeks Later
Punch-Drunk Love
Magnolia
Salaam Bombay
Scorpio Rising
The Wrestler
Slumdog Millionaire
Milk
Zack and Miri Make a Porno
Burn After Reading
Choke
Burden of Dreams
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Limey
The Bicycle Thieves
All That Heaven Allows
Glengarry Glen Ross
The Battle of Algiers
2001: A Space Odyssey
Stay
The Last Laugh
Nothing But a Man
Ashes and Diamonds
A Man Escaped
Four Little Girls
The Kid
Un Chien Andalou
The Birth of a Nation
Rashomon
Halloween (the remake)
The Crime of Monsieur Lange
Battleship Potemkin
Silent Hill
Salo: 120 Days of Sodom--this is the most extreme film I've ever watched. I thought things like Crash (the Cronenberg one, not the shitty Best Picture) and Audition were bad but good lord. I didn't watch an entire portion of the film, it was just too much. And it is from the 1970s, so the shock should have lessened. It didn't.
These are the films I can remember, plus countless other clips and short films. It was a good semester.

0 comments: