BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Thursday, May 22, 2008

...In which our heroine recounts a lovely and amazing 36 hours.


After Sunday's general gloominess about the end of school, things had to be on the up and up. They were indeed and the last day and a half or so was pretty damn outstanding.


Tuesday was not as bad as I anticipated. I said everything I needed to say to friends and teachers and said appropriate goodbyes.


Odin's Word was rough--I really wished Lakes would've been there to address Aaron, Kyle, and I, but such is life. Bekky made all the senior some very attractive cards and we all got it out with one of those life infinity moments with a sing-along to "Good Riddance." Even Alicia cried. It was really hard to walk out of that room for the last time, and I left a lot of myself there. Long weekends and tense class bells, inappropriate conversations and arguements over music, success and failure. I do believe I was ready though, as I told Kyle finally "Let's get the fuck outta here." And so we did.


Wacky Olympics were fun, despite the atrocious banana snot pudding. (Thanks Dusch.) We found that it takes at least 5 IB students to light a grill and that Fuse + 5 hotdogs = a nearly vomiting Kevin. It was a nice, child-like way to end high school.


I had a moment though, going back into school to get my stuff. It was mostly empty and it was especially hard going into Dusch's room for the last time as a student and opening my locker for the last time. How much angst and joy I have found in those hallowed halls of PHS. And I left it all behind. Thank science for Albertz whose plastic bag shirt kept me from crying as we drove away for the last time as students.


Matt and I did the 2:30 show on WLHS Lakota Radio, 89.9, with his friend DJ Meredith. Ever since I visited Barb Abney in the WOXY studios in seventh grade, its been a dream of mine to be on the radio. And I got to do it yesterday. I was kind of disappointed at the music selection, but I played "Being Simple" by the Judybats and a cool live version of "Drive" by R.E.M. We talked about my #1 geek obcession (trust me its a long list) Joss Whedon's Firefly and the best band ever (either The Beatles or Led Zeppelin by the way.) It was a cool experience and something I was lucky to have gotten to do.


After that Senior Awards night seemed interminable but I was thrilled to get Outstanding 2-D Artist and Outstanding English Student, the latter of which I also got Freshman year. In, and out, with a bang. I got a $1500 scholarship which will pay for books and film processing next year. Not too bad I guess.


There was only one way to end yesterday and the rollercoaster of high school's end, and that was by visiting an old friend--Dr. Jones I presume. Midnight shows with Dad have been a highlight of my childhood and we hadn't gone to one in a really long time so it was a nice time for us. Official review in the next post.


Let's see: last day of school, Wacky Olympics, being on the radio, racking up some bling, and going to the late night double feature picture show. Not bad at all.

1 comments:

achilles3 said...

To read my name in relation to you leaving OW...even after a year, chokes me up.
Big time.

I'll be in Ohio 7-7 through 7-22.
Can you get the some of the OW gang to get together???

My treat;-)

I say Root Beer Stand. Outside!