BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, May 10, 2008

...In which our heroine complains about the unecessary sequel.


I like a sequel as much as the next cinephile. I really do. Some franchises get to shine with another movie-- Evil Dead 2, X-2: X-Men United, The Empire Strikes Back, Aliens.

But Hollywood has really got to stop with the unecessary sequels. When I saw Bruce Campbell in 2006, he had a list of sequels and remakes created by studios in the past year or currently in production. There were 56 films on his list.

I'm ranting today because of two sequels that just piss me off.

First, and significantly less offensive is Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Don't even get me started on how episodes I-III almost ruined my love for the originals but just in case those didn't suck enough, let's make some more! Watch the trailer, but any Star Wars film that has a main plot point of "the kidnap of Jabba the Hut's son" will not be seen by this Katydid. PLEASE STOP GEORGE LUCAS. I will give this a slight break, as its aimed at kids, but the characters in the trailer all look gaunt and scary.

Far more offensive is news that they are making a sequel to one of my favorite films, Donnie Darko. It took me several viewings to fully understand the movie, and it is magnificent in its singular sci fi/teenage/cult self. And now there's a sequel coming. Cinematical has the full story, but the movie will be called S. Darko and follow Donnie's little sister who served the purpose only of being insulted at the dinner table.

WHY oh why do we need a sequel to Donnie Darko? Cult movies DO NOT work well in sequels (ever seen the sequel to The Rocky Horror Picture Show, called Shock Treatment? Yeah, no one else has either.) Only some lightning can be captured in a bottle once.

2 comments:

Grace said...

And as much as I hate sharks, if I saw one on land... not to mention a plane.. I'd kick it in the head.

achilles3 said...

X Men 2 is the best sequel ever.
The opening scene is top 5 beginning 10 minutes in movie history.
And the end silhouette back in the oval office.
Sick.
Way sick.