This was going to be the picture filled post with all the views of the decorated apartment, but our internet is still down and will be so until at least the 31st, so instead I'll just talk about how much fun I'm having.
Yesterday I had two film programs, both of which encouraged me as to Chicago's place in the film industry, the experience I'll gain, and the rigor of the cinematography program that, the program director said, will allow me to be the most prepared to make a real film the day I graduate from college. Also, I met one of my professors in a seminar that told me all the places to see movies, the role of CCC in producing film students (it's the largest film school in the world), and where to rent movies. It was a lovely day.
I'm loving every moment of walking around the city to get from A to B. Monday was a tour of the Second City, complete with co-founder Sheldon Patinkin. The show was absolutely hilarious, as it was two acts of sketchs based on the best of Second City and the final act all improv. I really enjoyed the dank little club that gave birth to so much that entertains me, from Belushi to Tina Fey.
Last night we ended up going to the Chicago Outdoor Film Festival's closing night, which was Grease. Watching a movie under the canopy of a thousand city lights gave me the chills. The weather has been so beautiful, but I can already sense a chill in the air that gives only the faintest glimmer of the harsh winter to come. I also got introductory info about studying abroad, which seems fantastically daunting.
To quote Radiohead, "meeting people is easy," at least a lot easier than I thought it would be. We've been lucky to have cool people on our floor: Wes, Samson, Chris, Benny, Connor, Bugs, and Breanna have been roaming around with us four roommates and we've been having a total blast. It's so nice to finally be able to sit around in a group where people not only get my obscure references, but augment them. The fun has been totally G-rated so far...I called my Mom on Sunday and when I told her we were playing cards, drinking tea, and listening to Steely Dan, she didn't believe me. Columbia just isn't a party school--I mean it happens, but it's not keggers every night.
The roommates are getting along quite well. Emily's transparent personality is already on my nerves and everyone else's, but I was prepared for that. Julia is a little bit naive, but that'll fade and she's totally sweet and hard-working. Kathleen and I are the true soul mates of the group. It was an instant connection, and being both cinematography majors, we have so much to talk about. She brought a stunning collection of DVDs and posters that it makes it hard to want to leave the apartment. Our tastes are the same, as is our sense of humor and sarcasm. Even after five days, I can tell we're going to be close for a long time. Our personalities mesh so well, it's kind of scary.
Tonight's plans include a tour of Chicago's main hipsterville, Wicker Park, and movies with Kathleen. Tomorrow is Cinema Slap Down, a referee'd event over which two faculty members are arguing over Batman Begins. Friday is the first meeting of Film Club, the first rule of which is to tell everyone about Film Club. I also am going to try and tour Wrigleyville this week.
Everything is so surreal I wish someone would pinch me. I'm so damn happy, it's scary. To look out the window and see this on a nightly basis is beyond incredible:
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
...In which our heroine is smitten.
Posted by Katydid at 12:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment